5 places to go while you're there
1. Best breakfast/brunch in the city is Square One Dining at 4854 Fountain Ave 90029 I had the garlic/lemon thyme chicken sausage with roasted tomato and gruyere omelette but asked them to do it as a scramble which wasn't an issue. The fresh squeezed oj is killer but the small is like a shot glass so go for the large. They have plenty of organic, gluten free options too.
2. For shopping check out 3rd street. Stop yourself from buying needlessly and save your pennies for New Stone Age at 8407 W 3rd St it is chalk full of curiosities you won't find anywhere else but it is a little pricy so be prepared to spend a little coin on something that you love. FYI their website only features a fraction of what they have in store.
3. Looking for a little peace & serenity? Visit the self-Realization Center at Lake Shrine in Pacific Palisades. It's a no phone zone so leave it in the car, parking is free as is the center itself but they do except donations and once you see how meticulously the grounds are kept, believe me, you'll want to give. You'll want to find a bench around the lake and sit awhile to take in the fountain, flowers, ducks and turtles. There's even an indoor meditation center if that's more your speed. 17190 Sunset Blvd 90272
4. Best Thai in LA is Ganda Siamese Cuisine at 5269 Hollywood Blvd 90027 I ordered my staple Chicken panang with potatoes, carrots and baby corn medium spicy and it was killer! I usually hate leftovers but couldn't wait to have it again the next day. The portions are enormous so if you're at a hotel with no way to reheat it, consider sharing with your mate. The shrimp coconut soup is also outstanding.
5. Take a blanket and head to Malibu! The drive is lovely between 11-3 on HWY 1 and street parking is free (which we found out after we paid $6 for the lot). Zuma is a great place to stop and even if you don't want to make it a total beach day you can spend a few hours relaxing with your toes in the sand listening to the waves and watching the surfers.
It seems work and life keeps taking me back to LA and every time I go, I experience something new... You can expect to see a few more posts about California next month because I will be there twice more in September. Let me know if there's anything you just love in the city of angels and I'll be sure to add it to my list!
xo - Kara